Balance rules when it comes to hat choice. That’s balance with your face shape (see our separate top tips article on this), body shape and style of outfit. There are lots of hat trends right and hats and headbands are definitely on the rise. Here are some top tips from the Jane Taylor London team to help you make the right choice of hat:
- If your outfit is busy, in terms of fabric pattern or detailing and layering, then keep your hat simple.
- A flowing, romantic style outfit is best complemented with a soft shaped hat such as a floppy wide brimmed hat or more relaxed cocktail hat.
- If your outfit is a 1950’s style with a full skirt and narrow waist then a big brim hat will also help to show off the waist.
- A more tailored look, eg a pencil skirt or an outfit with more architectural lines will work best with a structured hat design such as a neat cocktail hat.
- On trend cat suits/boiler suits and trouser suits can look incredible paired with a floppy sun hat, think Bianca Jagger wedding outfit or a big bow skull cap, like the one from the Jane Taylor X Emilia Wickstead collaboration. Neat veiled hats can also look great.
In terms of colour, then there are lots of options that are on trend:
- Colour blocking, an entire outfit in the same shade can be really dramatic.
- Colour clash, bold contrasting shades can make a statement in a good way.
- Nude shades such as camel, work really well with stronger splashes of accent colours such as coral, bright pink or royal blue.
- Hats are worn so close to the face so a shade that flatters your skin tone will help give you a healthy glow rather than drain your natural colouring. Having a piece hand dyed to pick the perfect colour for your skin tone is the best option.
- Strong shades can be picked out as trimming on the hat allowing you to have a softer, more flattering shade as the main hat colour.
We really recommend that you try lots of different styles on and ask for in store advice or email if you are looking online (we do online consultations – just send us a picture of your face shape and your outfit and we can advise you wherever you are).
Finally, don’t leave it to the last minute, especially if you want a bespoke hat made for you .
For hat inspiration, you can check out our online store and search by hat type.
If you are in need of further hat advice, check out our other articles or email email@example.com